PDA

View Full Version : Large-MP3 uploading/playing

rsp2rsp2
12 Mar 2009, 02:47 PM
Hey people. New guy here. I have a small issue & thought I would reach out to forums to get some feedback.

I have a beginner’s-build web site (using www.asiaregistry.com & their Easy Site Wizard site-builder non HTML templates) that I built. I have always had a single mp3 link on this site. I believe the method of MP3 storage is to upload it onto the host’s servers (not some external address somewhere). This always worked just fine (although taking a few minutes for the MP3 to be accessible since it was a rather large 9mb file @320kbit).
I am not sure if this next noted change is relevant but recently, I made an extra long MP3 that totals about 49mb (@ 320kbit). Like always (with my own computers loaded with QuickTime), the large file plays okay (despite that I must wait about 7 minutes for the 49mb to download).

Now, I am starting to asking other people out there to use their DSL-internet-powered computers to try to click on the link, monitor THEIR download time & see if they can play my new large MP3 link. Many people are reporting to me that they cannot get the MP3 song to play (even if they have the same powerful internet connection & a fast computer). Some are saying that they are prompted to download a player plugins that they already have.

What might be the problem here? On my web site, should I lay out some special instructions if the link does not play for someone (like suggesting an alternate media player or making sure the listener has a special plugins in their computer)? Or, is the problem that I have chosen 320 as a Kbit for my MP3? Yes, the file IS big (sampled at the highest MP3 rate). However, like I said, I can get it to play just fine in my 3 computers at home (using QuickTime).

Should I be using a different method to storing & linking my MP3 song? Some are saying I should upload the song to an external address location & use an alternate type of player. If this is truly best, I hope someone out there can give me an simple explanation on how to do this. Step by step would be nice.

Thanks peoples.

PS. MY site is WWW.RIKI.VN (SONGWRITING TAB) if anyone wants to test my link.