PDA

View Full Version : Not sure of scripting language or type. NEED HELP!!!

jcox29445
14 Mar 2009, 08:15 PM
Hello WDF members. A family member of mine recently fell ill. She's not even a teen yet and we almost lost her. Shes had massive heart surgery and is still very ill. She will remain in the hospital for months unfortunately. So my family asked me to put up a website for her.

They wanted to be able to:

take donations and such
keep the friends, schoolmates, churches and visitors updated on her and whats happening etc.
have a paintboard so her friends can draw and post on the site
have a guestbook section for friends and family to post things.
have a gallery and etc

Well I think i have a wrap on most of it, however I have a question that I've never come across and that I cant seem to find a good answer on the web about. I was wondering how our family could send a text message from our cell phones as we're at the hospital and have it post on the site. Is there any webwares out there, hopefully freeware, that would enable that? Or is that just too far out and would have to be custom scripted and big $$$? I sure would appreciate some quick help on this.

Sincerely,

jcox29445

hpwebsolutions
17 Mar 2009, 10:40 PM
While I have not done something like this myself, I do have an idea. You could set up an email address for her and have her friends text their messages to that email address. Then read the emails from that mailbox using your programming language's IMAP functions. Just be sure to display only those that come from a trusted source. You would have to make sure you only display messages that came from her friend's phone numbers. You can check out twitter too, though I'm not sure this would be possible with their API. Please let us know if you have any questions.

I hope the best for your relative.