PDA

View Full Version : Database dump. Programmer Left me high and dry

bennyb
02 Apr 2009, 09:55 AM
I am a designer at heart and know only a little when it comes to web development outside the normal css and html.

I am with 2 hosting companies and have all the files. I want to rip a CMS site from the one hosting service and drop it in the other. I figure i have to export the database and import it into the new hosting. Create a new database/ftp? then upload all the files... correct?

Someone please help me out. My programmer left me high and dry.

TikaC
02 Apr 2009, 06:28 PM
Ew. Transferring databases are a pain. Do you have access to PHPMyAdmin on both sites? What you do in one is to export the database to an .sql file (download the .sql file) in phpMyAdmin. DO NOT USE EXTENDED INSERTS! This only makes things harder.

Then take the sql file and Edit pad and split up the file every 1000 or so lines, save them to files in succession. Then go to the new site and import the file pieces via phpMyAdmin.

Or, once you have the sql file, ask the new hosting company if you can send them the sql file and see if they will import it for you. That is usually faster since they have access to the system itself. Or ask the new hosting company if they have any built-in database transfer programs or scripts you can use.