PDA

View Full Version : Joomla or HTML+XML or other for website??

sarahmccb
06 May 2009, 04:12 PM
I am about to have my company website built. I want a beautiful, artistic, original design that is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

-I anticipate wanting to change the text in the site often and would like to be able to do that myself.

-I anticipate wanting to add pages and upload new samples into a portfolio but I don't think I will be doing these tasks myself. I would have a developer or designer do that. I do want it to be AFFORDABLE though if I do have someone else do it.

-I would like to be able to add PayPal/Credit card integration eventually and am wondering which option would be cheaper/better for this.

I have heard that Joomla is boxy and may not be good for someone looking for an original site that stands out.
On the other hand, I have heard that it is very easy to add on to so adding PayPal and such would be easy and not expensive.

I have heard that HTML would provide the most liberty in design freedom and that with XML it will be easy to upload things and add pages...is this true?

Finally, can someone please tell me what is the difference between having a website built from a template vs. having one designed from scratch. And is there a way to tell which way the designer is doing it?

Thanks so much for you time and patience. I am embarrassed to say that I am not in the least bit "techie" so if you could respond in laymen's terms I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sarah

Makawak
07 May 2009, 12:10 PM
You will want Drupal along with a Drupal developer for the initial development. Drupal has all that Joomla has and more, not to mention has a larger community, more options and contributed additions, along with being very easy to customize.

There site is www.drupal.org. You should also be able to find developers there easily as well if you can't find us here.