PDA

View Full Version : So where do I go from here?

agbm
01 Jun 2009, 03:49 PM
Hey everyone, new-guy here. Lurked a few times, but I decided it'd be best to start asking questions on web development instead of procrastinating.

Let me dive in real quick. I want to make a website aimed towards university students. The goal is to make the "facebook" of this school and tie it in with the rest of the community. I've gone through my share of HTML and CSS books, but I have no idea where to begin with this. In regards to tools, I have access to some FTP programs. I have some other WYSIWYG (I think thats right :laugh:) programs as well. My time spent with PHP, ASP, etc. has been mainly through W3 and other similar sites. In other words, I've been provided with the fundamentals, but don't know where to begin. I've found a free host (100webs) for this, which allows me to use all the advanced programming. I just don't know where to begin...

I'd like to have a log-in feature, along with a community bulletin board, along with advertising stuff, along with polls and a bunch of other things. I have no launch-date in mind, which means I have as much time as possible for this.

So any ideas?

(hope I didn't leave any of you in the back anywhere)

is_numeric
02 Jun 2009, 09:33 AM
first sketch and photoshop the look of your site. A flat mockup in PS is a great blue print to work from

then get cracking coding it up

PHP and MYSQL would be good here