PDA

View Full Version : The Synergy Project

xerond
05 Jul 2009, 08:50 PM
Hey there my name is Travis Ladner and I'm piloting a open source web application that I'm looking for some critique on. Here is a basic outline of the project:

What?
The Synergy Project aims to create a free, open-source web application used for collaborative problem solving.

Features:
For issues to be submitted within a local context, yet available globally.
Specifically and generally relating user profiles to problems submitted to the system.
To render these "issues" to users based on user concern. We would like to use various 3d models to display the population of these issues as they relate to each-other, and the concern factor they hold.
To attach real world events and source material to these issues as they evolve.
To show concern trending with each problem to give users an idea what kind of attention it is attracting.
To create a proposal system for users to submit comprehensive suggestions for fixes. This proposal system would ask the user to address as much source material as possible.

How?
Currently we're in the process of nailing down which platforms to attack. We're considering modifying MediaWiki and using it as an initial platform with which to launch development. Since we hope to integrate some more advanced visualizations compared to a standard wiki page, we're looking to figure out the best way to achieve that.

Why?
In practicality there are already models in place that are proving the proficiency of collaborative organizations. The biggest example being Wikipedia. So why not step it up and test the bounds of this type of organization? Some positive possibilities would be fast and diverse reporting of world events as they happen. Just as we see how fast Wikipedia pages manifest and update, we could see that here. We could witness open discussions that encourages users from diverse geographic areas and different fields of experience. The kind of data that could be received from such diverse input would be publicly available to anyone. And possibly, to translate any positive conclusions found within the system into the real world.
________________________-

Please don't take this as random spam, as it isn't. I'm looking for advice on how best to attack these design challenges that we're thinking about. We have a video concept in forums to help get the idea cross even more with a bunch of related content if you're interested at all.

If you have any small questions I would be glad to answer them here. Anything specific or large I would ask that you post in our forums so I could answer them there. Thanks for your time!

www.OneSynergy.org