PDA

View Full Version : User Content website creation---I REALLY need help with this!

wegopro
10 Jul 2009, 08:37 PM
Ok, I REALLY need some help here, so if you can help me that would be wonderful. I need to create a site for my small business(miniature game creation) and for my web design project. I want to create a site similar to miniwargaming.com(front page) . I need something where people can register and post embedded video, pictures or reviews, and other users can comment and rate it. Top rated content goes on the front page and new content as well. Then my staff and I can create youtube videos and such and post them on the front page as well, as shown on miniwargaming.com. One important feature is the login box, categories, easy managing(administering of the content) and a customizable, but small profile displaying the users content and info.
I REALLY NEED HELP ON THIS ONE. I have been searching for weeks on how to do this, and I have found no solutions. Here's what products I own for web design:

ALL THE ADOBE PROGRAMS(master collection)
Godaddy Deluxe Hosting with Joomla, Wordpress, and Drupal
A mind ready to explode from oversearching on Google..

I cannot create this from scratch, as it'd be too complicated (unless it not complicated?) and I have to create it myself, in a matter of a 7-14 days from now
So, does anyone have any tips, tutorials, links, websites that can help me with my issue?

Thanks,
Wegopro

Makawak
13 Jul 2009, 09:10 AM
Drupal will do everything you've listed!

drupal.org there you can find tutorials and modules needed to make everything going. If you want to post a detail list of things you want done on this site then I will comment and let you know exactly what modules you will need.

Out of the box you have your user registration. Just from the list I see here I would say you need CCK, Views, five star, ffmpeg, and image chace/api modules.

CCK (Content Construction Kit) - Allows you to create custom content type for your site.
Views - Allows you to create various views of content on your site (top rated, most recent news article, etc)

five star - allows you to rate content.

ffmpeg - a module that allows you to upload a flash video or other videos and convert them to flash (like youtube).

image, image cache, image api - allows you to have the image upload capability and scale it to an size you see appropriate.

I use Drupal for all of my stuff. You can check out my site http://www.mkwk-soultions.com You will see a little block on the homepage that alternates the various services I have. This is actually a special view that goes through a custom content type called services. When you click on the services tab you get displayed a listing of services. This again is a view. Then when you click on one of them your brought to all the information on the service.

So in my "services" content type I have a type field, icon field, short description field (used for the two views) and body field which is used on the actual page. I use views to pull the specific fields I want to be displayed.

If you register you will see that there is also create a request, view a request, create a tickets, view issues. These are other content types and views.

The system is very flexible, and I setup something you're looking at doing in a matter of 2-3 days of work.

So if you don't mind reading go to drupal read through some tutorials and go for it. I would offer to do it for you and teach you along the way but as you said you need to be the one to do it.

Good luck :) and if you have any questions feel free to ask :)