PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask a network admin?

zymi
12 Jul 2009, 06:47 PM
I work at a college, and I'm on the interview committee for a network administrator. I work with publications mostly but was recently given the web site to create/maintain. I'm a real newbie to web site development, so I'm not sure what questions are important to ask. I need some tips please. =)

The details: The web server is housed in the ITS department (I'm in PR), and I connect to the server via the network. Our school is in the process of switching to Banner (Oracle based) if that's important here. I used Dreamweaver to create the website, but as I learn more about web development I'd like to eventually do more fancy things, like using php and databases and build the site without DW.

I'd also like to ask them about how they'd fix error problems with the server and security issues like protecting the server from being hacked into. Are web server error problems fixed in the same way as other servers would be?...ie do i need to ask certain questions relating to errors specific to a web server?

From this info, what do you think would be good to ask the applicants?

Thanks in advance!