PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with .xml .fla editing. Please.

NovusPhoto
12 Jul 2009, 07:09 PM
Hello all!

Found these forums via google search, and signed up because I desperately need help. I will try to give all the info needed in hopes of getting what I need figured out. Please bear with me.

I am a photographer. I take decent photos, but I know absolutely NOTHING about web design. But I know that any self respecting company needs a website to survive.

I can't afford to hire a web designer, so I decided to buy a template, and edit the content myself. So far, I've only invested about $300 on the template.

I have some basic HTML knowledge, so I'm getting by OK. I am, however stuck on two or three key points.

Point 1:

www.novusphotography.ca/needhelp2.jpg

In the above image, there are two sections, each scrolling. The lower one, I want gone. (represented by the greyed out box) The upper one, I'd like to expand, to fill out the entire area, represented by the red box. Any time I try to alter the code or edit the source, it screws up the entire page. Does this need to be done in the .fla file, then converted to a .swf, or can it be done in the .xml file? If needed, I have no problems posting the source code here.

Point 2:

If you look at the image above, you'll notice the 5 tabs across the top - Personal, Portfolio, Experience, Services and Contact. When viewers come to the page, the first thing they see is the "Personal" information about me. I'd like to switch it so that they see the "Portfolio" page first, and "Personal" page second. I want them to see the images first, and everything else second. I feel that they are coming to my site in search of a photographer, and the first thing they should know is if my particular style suits them, not personal information about me.

I have tried to use the tutorial provided by the company that sold me the template ( http://info.template-help.com/eoc/flash/article9.html ) but I'm getting nowhere because in the tutorial, the entire page is visible, and you can see what you're editing - what I see is completely different, and ergo, I can't edit anything:

http://novusphotography.ca/needhelp.jpg

There are a couple other small things, but they can be fixed later, these two things are the biggest issues that I need to solve, and SOON. I'd like to have the page online by tonight, if possible.

To edit the .xml files, I'm using Dreamweaver MX. For the .fla file, I'm using Adobe Flash CS4 professional. My computer is running Windows 7, if that's important at all.

Thanks in advance!

Robb