PDA

View Full Version : Testing Environment - Mail Server Suggestions

ShotoCon
16 Jul 2009, 09:44 AM
Hi There,

Bit of a newbie question here - not even sure if this is in the correct part of the forum!

Have set up PHP (5.3.0), MySQL (5.0.5) and Apache (2.2) on my local machine (XP SP3) - purely for testing and development purposes, everything is running fine, which isnt like me.

Now I would like the ability to send email from forms, using the mail() function, on my local machine and so need a mail server - apparently. Is there anyway to install a mail server locally and have it run locally - ie use this server to send mail locally and receive it locally, doesnt have to break out to the internet? Or how easy is it to configure the mail() function to use a pop account - is this even possible? (if it comes to it, I can get a mail server and a domain and change mx records - but Im cheap, and this stuff is purely for my own uses ;) )

The machine I develop and test on is part of a network - not a standalone machine.

Any advice I can get would be great, not too sure how to proceed with this one, or if it is even possible to be honest!

Thanks for your time :D