PDA

View Full Version : Working & Production site without localserver

domineaux
17 Jul 2009, 03:55 PM
I've used the LocalServers and had issues continuously. I recently experienced an Apache HTTP.exe crash, which I've never experienced on a hosted webserver. I've had a myriad of security issues, especially since going to Vista.

Things have changed and with the right tools I think it is possible to develop websites just as fast on the web as off the web.

Ftp tools are better more efficient.
Bandwidth is alot cheaper.
Hosting is less restrictive.
Connections speeds are alot faster.
On the web development means you don't have issues related to your local computer.

The problem with online website development is doing maintenance and making improvements is much more difficult online.

Currently, I looking for workarounds. I would like to have production domain and workingprocess of that domain working at the same time on the same server if possible.

A reseller account is what I use for development so that I am not restricted on number of sites and mysql databases,etc. I can create new domains and put up their ips and domain pointers quickly.

I thought about using dedicated domains for work in process sites with redirects and nofollows for the developer. I'm not quite sure about how to do it at this point.

Some of my thoughts are to do all installs of application within a subfolder (not subdomain) of the domain. It probably wouldn't matter what server I was on as long as the application folder was only accessible by me. I visualize a complete copy of the site in the mydomain.com/mysite/ folder and copy in mydomain.com/wipmysite/folder.

The wipmysite would be used to develop and maintain, and the mysite would be the finished production site. It would be important to have all links and referrals within the application and mysql 1oo% compatible between the two installs.

So, what I thinking is probably along the lines of using an online server in lieu of a localserver that is not accessible or visible, except to the developer.

Someone might have already addressed this and can share how they did it.

hpwebsolutions
18 Jul 2009, 08:18 PM
Exactly what security issues are you having with your local server? You can configure apache to only accept requests from your own computer, and if you have a firewall and antivirus running you should be pretty secure. Apache.exe may have crashed due to a misconfiguration, have you edited httpd.conf? For me, developing locally is really the only option for building a site, but maintenance isn't too bad on remote sites when you're only changing a few things at a time.

If you still really want to develop remotely, you can edit the .htaccess file. Put this in an .htaccess at the highest level directory that you want to protect on your remote develpment server:

order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from my.ip.address

where you change my.ip.address to your ip address.