PDA

View Full Version : G-Chrome's "Inspect Element" Feature!

djlebarron
27 Jul 2009, 02:58 AM
Wow. You never know until you play around with something.

I just discovered Google Chrome's "Inspect Element" feature. It gives you an organized breakdown of the style and html of an element in an interface-type display with one click. What helped me was that it went and got "all that" for elements from another site that were "hidden" from my site's source page because they are part of a free commercial javascript application provided by, and from, that other site. I was therefore able to style the "incoming" elements via a <![if !IE]> conditional statement to make them behave across all browsers. Yeh, I'm one of the few (I guess) that build in IE first and then deal with everything else.

I only use notepad to edit, so without discovering the Chrome feature, I might never have been able to figure out how to do it.

It still shows the element within the source code of the entire page in a scrollable window within the display. It's hard to describe. You'll just have to try it.

In Chrome, put your cursor over any element, right click, and click on "Inspect Element".

Thumbs up for Chrome on this one.

Makawak
27 Jul 2009, 08:06 AM
You can get the same functionality, if not better, with the firebug plugin for firefox :)