PDA

View Full Version : from the beg..

NoobIam
30 Jul 2009, 09:59 PM
I have a degree in software development. The problem is that I have never really created websites. I did learn the shopping cart software zen cart to sell some products before but I would like to learn how to build websites from scratch. I do know a bit about CSS. I just don't know where to start. I am used to a curriculum having a beg point to and end point. I just don't know where I would begin. I guess, what I am trying to do is formulate a plan of attack. Topics that I need to learn from the beg to end. Then once that is done try to find good books for those topics.

This might seem too general of a post but I really need to get this train moving. Any ideas on where I should begin?

dreamst8
10 Aug 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi NoobIam. Tough spot to be in, my friend, but you are not the first nor the last to be in such a situation. I'm still a relative noob, and not tool long ago, I was in your shoes and was also very much used to "beginning to end" training. Because web development branches out in so many different directions, it makes finding a starting point kinda difficult.

I would start here: http://w3schools.com/html/default.asp

Start by learning as much as you can about HTML. You can even practice live on the site. Then I would try to learn something about CSS (you can also learn CSS from that site too). It's free to learn from w3schools.com. Once you feel comfortable enough to get a book, I would suggest O'Reilly books. There's an excellent definitive guide to HTML/XHTML as well as a good one for CSS.