PDA

View Full Version : Suitable design for a website selling goods

duffpaddy
25 Aug 2009, 12:47 PM
Hi there,

As part of a Javascript course that I am doing, I have been asked to design a website which consumers could visit to buy products.

The website should contain some details about who the company is and the types of products they sell, a few pages which contain the products the customer can purchase and a shopping cart with payment system so they can buy them.

My proposed design given the brief was as follows:

Create a three column layout for the website.
- The left column would be a fixed navigation column for the user to negotiate the website.
- The centre column would be where the content would be displayed e.g. info about the company, products and the check out page
- The right column would again be fixed and would display a summary of the shopping cart contents and a link to take the customer to the check out

Users would use the navigation column on the left to negotiate the website. Clicking a link from the navigation would make a call to the app server and a PhP script would return the content. This would give the impression of the content loading without a page refresh

I would then use Javascript and cookies to manage the shopping cart and do validation of the forms before sending them back to the server.

As this is only an example website, no further validation would need to be done and another PhP script would return a page informing the user they have been successful.

I realise that this is a very high level view of the website but I just wanted to check my design choice of using javascript and PhP to employ AJAX techniques.

Your comments are most welcome.