PDA

View Full Version : Reworking My Portfolio From Ground Up, Help...

bclouatre
26 Aug 2009, 04:16 AM
So it has come to my attention recently that while the day I took to build my portfolio to get a 95% for my final project in school has content on it, I could really use a site that i spent at least a few weeks developing (code for actually trying), so i have come here in search of some helpful tips and a place to bounce my ideas off.

So first some questions

1) Stock photos; I live in a small town and getting pictures i would like for my site would involve a few hours driving and finding a place to stay to get the right conditions (morning/latenight etc) so stock photos would be convenient, I am not saying this to take the easy way out but if its not bad form to use stock photos then why not.

2) Photographic based websites; i have been noticing lately that a lot of portfolio sites make extensive use of actually photography in their layouts, this is something that brightens my smile because these types of websites for me are what i like to do, have real pictures with animated stuff in them (a room with a really old tv and the tv has static animated on it) This would be the background would be a photo of say

a) me standing against a white brick background wearing a hood or something random like that
b) a wall with an old hand painted add mural from the 50's
c) the underneath of a bridge putting content in a box between the arches etc
d) the bottom of the page having like a bench near a fence and a lampost that glows

These are just spitball ideas but you know.

3) Odd layouts for example, a upper picture of a desk with a coffee and some pens on it and like paper and the nav bar is placed on the notepad that is angled up in the top corner etc things like that

http://www.janisbreslin.com/ Or using the navigation style used on their for the contact thing, obviously not stealing their work but basing it slightly off it just using a box that pops up like that.

Anyway hopefully this isn't the wrong forum/a stupid sounding post, i am just kind overwhelmed atm without anyone to really ask these questions too thanks. :)