PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Web Development Technologies

perb
27 Aug 2009, 09:34 AM
OK, a little background. I'm a former developer that has been out of the game for a few years now. I'm not up to date with the latest technologies. Some of my terminology may seem outdated, so please bear with me.

I need to develop a site rather quickly that will:
1) allow customers to signup,
2) keep customer records,
3) send alerts and/or text msgs. to mobile phones, and
4) initiate requests via text msg. from mobile phones.

My initial thought of a development environment would probably consist of Netbeans, Java, running on Linux, with MySQL serving the back end. (comments?)

Are there any open source components available that I could use? (especially to facilitate the text messaging components of the site - would not want to re-create the wheel)

Are there frameworks that would facilitate this project? (is this the best way to go?)

What are the best web page creator tools available? Dreamweaver? (I'm not graphics gifted or artistic. I can do this part on Windows)

I'd also like to host this myself, and a CMS recommendation would also be helpful.

I need to get up to speed quickly also, so if there are any sites, documentation, books that would help me please feel free to recommend those as well.

I know that this is a mouthful, but any direction that you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!