PDA

View Full Version : External Link Disclaimer/Exit Page

geano
30 Aug 2009, 11:07 AM
Please, solutions only, I'm aware of reasons not to, I have reasons this is necessary.
I am also grey-cell deficient: I have been all over the net looking for a method that I could understand and implement.
I am capable of doing, and currently do, this the hard way, with separate redirect pages etc.

Scenario:
1. Our visitor clicks any External Link to "That Website" which would take them off "This Website".
Instead, it calls a standard browser page ("goodbye" page) perhaps named "redirect.php" in same window (Not Pop-up, Not alert window!)
This page is 'standard' in that has back buttons and all toolbars, etc no different than any other browser window...

2. "goodbye" captures "That Website's" url and name, and generates a page with info and redirect similar to:

"Mandatory Exit Disclaimer"
"We're glad you came to "Title of This Website"! The link you have selected will
take you shortly to "Title of That Website", which is not controlled by "Title of This Website".
If you'd like to remain here for awhile, please use your browser's back button now..."

"Otherwise, you will be directed to:
"URL of That Website".
If your browser does not automatically go to the site within "a few (10?)" seconds,
please click on the underlined URL above to go to the site."3. The "disclaimer-goodbye" page then redirects to "That Web Site".

Sigh... It would be neat if somehow the "goodbye" page would vanish vanish from browser history, and be "skipped" on the "back arrow", after exit,
but I suppose that remains an impossibility.
I am a novice in many areas, and need more help than "create a such-and-such, that should do it."
Or a "can't be done"... because it is done, some sites use ColdFusion (I Think)... which I don't own, or understand, or care to learn at this point.
there's even CGI Goodbye, which I cannot make work, aarrrrrgh.:splat:

Thanks Y'all,

Mike

-

prasanthmj
31 Aug 2009, 06:17 AM
Get the Highslide (http://highslide.com/) (or other)popup script.

Create an HTML popup using the HighSlide script when an external link is clicked.
Put the above content("Mandatory Exit Disclaimer") in the Popup.

at the same time, start a timer for redirecting to the URL.