PDA

View Full Version : Handover of Website/Hosting - Help needed

rosieg
04 Sep 2009, 11:44 AM
Hello

For six years I have built websites for a handful of clients. I have had enough training to design, build and upload several sites but now that I wish to hand the responsibility for the websites and domains back to the clients, my knowledge falls short and I really need some help.

I currently hold all files for the websites, organise the hosting and have all domains registered in my name, using the company Netcetera.

None of my clients have an FTP service and are unlikely to be able to afford to handover to a webdesigner/developer charging full rate to take care of this for them. They are not tech/web-savvy people so getting their files uploaded with a new host would prove a daunting prospect.

While finding a way to do FTP and sorting out webhosting and domain registration will technically be the (ex-)client's problem, many of them are friends and family and so I want to help if I can. I also want to ensure there won't be much/any down time and I need to be aware of any complications regarding domain names so they can be ironed out as this could be a potentially stressful time for me as well as them.

Can anyone recommend the cleanest way of doing a handover please?

Many thanks
rosieg :confused:

is_numeric
05 Sep 2009, 04:01 AM
you need to identify someone who has an interest in the technology. Someone who wants to learn all about it.

This person will / should start learning on their own once given a little bit of help.

if your clients are totally new and have no idea about web sites then you need to document some FAQ's. I would setup a forum or wiki just for them so they dont feel alone. Somewhere they can ask you questions and where you can archive the answers