PDA

View Full Version : Need help new starter here...very lost.

amieb
12 Sep 2009, 06:02 PM
I just registered for a web design class at my local college. The prof demonstrated some past examples of the the first project we will be conducting. Basically we will be creating a story, a stream of consciousness, and then we will create an HTML story based on this. The prof stated we will first learn how to use tables altho these are deprecated, but we must learn to do so in order to understand the newer fundamentals.

One student created an "animated" story using tables. She told the story about her dog, and the dog, which looked like little pixels, walked across the page. The teacher didn't want to go in depth in the technique used, but said that this student was able to achieve this by refreshing a page into a new page, thus making her dog "walk" across the page. The animation took about 20 pages refreshing into the next one.

I'm curious into how this was done. What kind of code was used? Can anyone please help me? :confused:

Wickham
13 Sep 2009, 12:50 AM
Refreshing the page to get the dog to walk sounds ridiculous and starting with tables isn't the correct way to learn now. Start with divs and CSS (position: absolute all divs to start with so they all take positions from the top left corner of the window then move on to position: relative).

Getting a dog to walk could be achieved with an animated gif http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez/ (simple to create and not requiring Javascript or Flash) or using Flash which is advanced stuff.