PDA

View Full Version : position: absolute - stretching window

awl19
28 Sep 2009, 01:02 PM
Hello!
I currently have 2 problems with my template I am working with.

I am using Divs to practically hold everything and putting all the real data within the CSS.
The only problem is that for some reason "position: absolute" is stretching my entire template downward, it isn't stretching the background picture but it goes down very far with nothing but white space. If I remove the position value, it shortens but then of course everything I have coded within it falls apart.

2. Currently the website only works in firefox (or I should say...everything but IE6), I realize that IE6 does not like position values but I have also found that there are ways around it, however all my attempts to fix it thus far have been unsuccessful.

3. Forgot to mention I am having problems with keeping the layers in an order where the links are actually clickable regardless of me making it the highest z-index, don't know what the deal is.

So if you guys could help me out that would be swell, thanks!

Oh yah btw, it's viewable here: http://andrewliesenfeld.com/test/

Well I wasn't expecting a quick reply but I have noticed that this forum doesn't get much support. Regardless, I have found a solution to each of the problems.

The first two can be fixed simply (if you had the same problem as me), I had a <table> tag surrounding all of the elements, so I took it out and it worked like a charm for #1 & #2.

3. The only problem was that the DIV has a parameter for how ever much you set the img for, and if you have two DIV elements borders clashing then there will be some complications, so just keep them slightly far apart.

Cheers,
Andrew

webpanda
05 Oct 2009, 09:02 PM
hmm i also noticed that with divs and divs within divs if you use absolute positioning it breaks out of the container div, making it pretty useless, did you notice that?