PDA

View Full Version : community style website, please help!

dmccaulley
04 Oct 2009, 03:19 PM
Ok so here is my situation... I retired from web design quite a few years ago, so im really not up to date on all the latest techniques and whatnot... I do however still run and maintain a few websites for friends and some long time clients.

One site I run is the official site for a very well known band, they are good friends of mine and i just run it as a favor for them. They want to open a fan club website to go along with the official site, but I have no idea where to even start with that, lol.

Basically the site needs to have a small public area for people to read about whats inside the members section. We also need the site to be able to handle registration. They want to charge a fee to join the fan club, so the site would need to automatically process credit card transactions during the user registration process. Inside the site it needs to have features like some social networking sites, with user profiles, and the ability to message other users, along with a way for the admins (myself and the band) to update the content on the pages inside the site with some type of a content management system.

Now I know there are scripts out there (some open source, some you have to buy) for ecommerce type sites, but this isnt really what im looking for. Does anyone know of a script that would handle all the things my friends are looking for?

thanks so much.

dmcleary
05 Oct 2009, 11:37 AM
Hello dmccaulley,

It does strike me that they want the moon on a stick. Believe me, it's very easy to spec a website that has every single wiki, blog, forum, shopping cart, login script going ... and none of it will be used! To that end (and so you're not wasting your time!) it's important that all the features are really going to be used and supported by your system (buying stuff online instantly with a credit card is good but I want it shipped at least the next working day!)

That said, you're right that there are a number of scripts. I'm more of bespoke coder but you could try Joomla or Drupal for a start. Both are customisable. osCommerce is another that might tick some boxes.

I guess other forum members might have some ideas along the same lines.

Anyhow, good luck with it.

Regards,

David