PDA

View Full Version : accessibility review

is_numeric
16 Oct 2009, 05:44 AM
Guys

I'm not after a 'don't like this colour' or 'don't like that colour' critique but any pointers on accessibility would be good.

I know its missing a font size selector.

Its been pointed out that the white text on green is an issue.

http://www.realpartnership.co.uk/

alvo
16 Oct 2009, 11:17 AM
The page is too wide and doesn't resize. Scrolling horizontally is bad for usability. Having the site logo on the far right when you have to scroll compounds the problem. If one can't see it, how do they know where they are?

A couple of things to keep in mind when building websites:

1) People need to know almost instantly upon landing on a site where they are, what the site is for, and what they can do there. If they don't know they will simply leave and go somewhere else, probably never to return.

2) People don't read web pages; they scan them looking for something of interest or a link that they think will take them to something they might be interested in and then click on that. Unless the text on the page iswhat they were looking for, it won't be read. If it's really short and concise, they may read it, but even then you can't be certain. We've become really good at ignoring large blocks of text.

This is important because this site violates both. When I first saw the page, after noticing I had to scroll to read it, I found that I had no clue as to what the site was for. In the real world that would have been the end for me. However, for review, I trudged on. I started reading the text and still had no clue as to what "Real Partnership" was. The copy reads like "happy talk" where there are a lot of words but little substance.

The fix is pretty simple. Put the site logo where it will be quickly seen. The left is better, but if your fix the width issue the right will be fine. Then add a tag line under the logo. Something short (six to eight words maximum) and concise that tells what the site is so I know right off both where I am and what the site is for.

Then edit your text. Go through and cut out half the words. Once you've done that, go through again and cut out half the words once again. At this point your text should be short and concise enough that some people may read it.

Now the page should work rather well.

It seems odd to go to the news page and read about a "unique join venture" in the exact words I already read on the home page and have it repeated to the right again on this page.

i find the lack of contrast in the text makes it harder to read. I realize it the design-y thing to do, but light colors and gray on what are not optimum if you want to entice people to read your pages.