PDA

View Full Version : Sliding doors drop down menu hover question

RichardInJapan
18 Oct 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi there,

I have a site online which has been developed using Drupal. I'm using a drop-down menu which is working fine, but I'd like to add tabs based on the 'sliding doors' technique to provide a nicer look. I got the sliding doors to work using 2 images, but then I tried to use 4 to provide an alternative colour when the tab is hovered over.

I added the css: li:hover a in order to implement a change of background image for the 'a' part of the tab and this works fine. The problem I have however is that this affects all the 'a' links below it in the drop down, so I end up with a drop down full of half tabs when it is revealed.

I'm I failing to do something fundamental here? How can I override this image? I can naturally specify a hover for all of these sub 'a' entries, but this doesn't take effect until they are hovered over.

I'm relatively new to CSS, but I think that I've got my head around the key concepts. It's just this menu issue which is driving me up the wall.

Unfortunately I only have the old menu online at the moment so I have no online example of my problem. Still, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, this is my first post on this forum. Hi everybody!

Richard

Wickham
19 Oct 2009, 05:09 AM
It's usually better to start with a menu that works and edit it. You will find several sliding doors menus here:-
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/
in the left column