PDA

View Full Version : Displaying data from a online text file. Using selection boxes to modify content.

EricH
30 Oct 2009, 06:46 PM
I have two things I want to do and do not know how to do. The website is http://www.paddlingabc.com It is an online guide to paddling for an area in Canada. I would consider myself a beginner web designer who is good at figuring out problems. Here goes:

On the main page on the sidebar you will notice that there are river gauges and weather displayed. This is key for paddlers. Right now the river gauges just link to a text file created by Environment Canada that monitors river level. This text file has a lot of entries in it, probably 100 or more i would guess with the most recent one being the one at the bottom of the page. I would really like to stream that data onto my webpage so instead of having to click the link and navigate away they can see the data right there on the webpage. I know this is possible but I cant figure out how to do it.

The second thing I would really like to do is have a drop down selection box on that sidebar where you pick the general geographic area you live in with a checkbox to remember your selection. When you select a geographic area I would it to display on the sidebar a few river gauges and the local weather. The idea being that a paddler can access my site and see weather and river levels all in one spot that is custom tailored to their geopgraphic location.

Any ideas, help or links to tutorials would be great!

Eric