PDA

View Full Version : Getting into web design...

andrewlb
06 Nov 2009, 07:30 PM
To make this relatively simple I'll post first my questions then facts that pertain to my situation, thanks for everyone's help in advance!

Note: I'm more worried about where I should start and less about how much I'm going to make etc.

Questions:
Where should I start with web design?
Is it feasible that I could be freelancing within several months if I'm doing a moderate around of work learning/designing?
At entry level web design jobs how much money could I expect?

Facts about myself:
I'm 18, enrolled at RIT in the Graphic Design program
I have a book on basic HTML and CSS
I have a moderate level of skill design-wise as well as a decent knowledge of PS and AI

Basically I'm looking to know a general progression I should be looking for, I'm looking to design fairly decent looking websites with semi-advanced buttons, use of flash etc. etc. I realize that there is no "right path" and advanced website design will come with time, I'm just looking for general suggestions.

Thanks again, andrewlb

if you have any other questions just ask

dmcleary
09 Nov 2009, 06:58 AM
Hello Andewlb,

That's a big question and to be honest it deserves a big answer.

However, in essence once you enter into the world of freelance web design it is all about these key concepts:

1. Your existing contacts;
2. How professionally you market yourself;
3. Your ability to attract new clients
4. How rapidly you can grow your portfolio;
5. How efficient you can be at learning (ie don't spend all you day learning and not earning!)

If any of those 5 are flaky or don't exist then take extreme care in deciding to go freelance at this stage; it might be better to get some experience from employment in the sector first.

Just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Regards,

David