PDA

View Full Version : trying to get image to fill in three column DIV

zerocommazero
10 Nov 2009, 09:10 AM
Hi All. I need help with a three column DIV area of my layout that I put together in Dreamweaver. This is my first website. Here is the URL to see exactly what i mean.
http://richdesignsit.com/salmonsigns

My problem is with the DIVs that contain black and gold border images that fill the left and right column on each side of the white pane in the middle of the page that houses the content. I have each of the three DIVs at a fixed height where ultimately I want them to be dynamic (100%) based upon the content in the middle. How do you do this with DIVs and CSS?

Like I said, this is my first real site. I tried doing as much as possible in CSS and DIVs to avoid tables. Working in Dreamweaver/Flash 8. All of my knowledge is through books so let me know if I am making any other mistakes that you might see.

Wickham
10 Nov 2009, 02:29 PM
Since your content is fixed width you could use a repeating background image.

You would need divs at the top and bottom with just enough height for the top and bottom borders with the curved corners, (leave them as they are) then a div for the content with no height so that it will be flexible (probably #boxMC with the height deleted), and an image which would be only 1px high but the width of your content and have the black and gold side borders and a white middle and use it as a background-image with background-repeat: repeat-y; for the div. Use photoshop or Irfanview to make the image. You already have edge-l.gif and edge-r.gif, you need to put them together either side of a white section.