PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress and user access control

Shinyhead
10 Nov 2009, 10:54 AM
OK, the website I manage for my company is wordpress based.
Word press is not a lot of fun when it comes to showing/hiding based on user groups.

First off, here is what the site needs to do;
allow client and staff logins (multiple clients that we only want to see a portion of the site).
Once logged on, select a particular job and add/modify data on the job (all database stored and file uploads)
Have the ability to upload and download files related to that job, but not have access to other jobs and clients.

I am using php and mysql, but can handle some simple javascript and such as needed.

We mainly don't want the clients to be able to see each others names even, let alone gain access to job data, file upload sections etc.

Now I am thinking I have three options;

1. Rewrite and migrate the entire site out of wordpress. Not too fond of this idea as I would rather not reinvent the wheel and its working for our needs at this time.

2. Beat some plugins into submission to make the work for creating new roles and such. (some of the social plugins seem not too far off what I need) This troubles me incase we want to upgrade wordpress and the plugins as modified break.

3. Use some inline php to grab session variables and custom user fields and control the display of info in certain static pages (basically a static page that accesses an entire job management portal). This seems my best option, but I would like someone to verify that thought.

If there is a plugin for wordpress that works well for this sort of thing I would love to hear about it, but I haven't located it yet.

-Chris