PDA

View Full Version : How would you build this site?

Fuzzylogic
08 Dec 2009, 02:05 AM
There will be two main categories, under which the site will fall, basically OS. Windows/Mac. Under that category, there will be three main differing categories with content that will be added often. Basically news and reviews and maybe something else.

We would like to allow, as easily as possible, any visitor to interact. We want them to be able to type comments, or give a review a plus or minus, and hopefully eventually register and have a few more perks for doing so. Now obviously because of spam it can't be totally open, but is this unrealistic? A little forum could be helpful as part of the site, but really unnecessary if people are able to connect with others they see on our site somehow through those other sections, news and reviews and stuff. Perhaps individual profile pages with registration, I don't know, I'm not a developer. I hope what I'm asking for here makes sense. They don't need huge profiles, just maybe something visitors can click on and see a little about them...

We would also like to allow visitors/members to search through those above sections in various ways. Most clicked, or most bumped, most talked about... whether it's a story or a review. On the main page we would like there to be a section that does reflect that...for example, in this box of four pictures, those are the top news stories being talked about or looked at right now.

Now I was thinking Wordpress. Am I wrong? What do I want to find a developer proficient in? Drupal? I am trying to keep costs down. I figure if Wordpress could handle it, that'd be the easiest and cheapest way. I just don't know, what happens if I see substantial growth, can it be maintained with Wordpress. Or will I have to upgrade. But if I'm seeing enough growth to outgrow Wordpress, wouldn't I perhaps have a better chance at seeing a little money to help upgrade, just because of my high traffic? So I could save money now and upgrade later, that'd be optimal... Unless it's clear that something besides Wordpress is what I need. I also want mobile users to be able to access it quickly without waiting for some crazy programming to load.

I hope this wasn't too vague, I tried to show the skeleton and the important elements. I basically love the premium Wordpress Omni theme and think I could use that - but I want my visitors interacting with us and each other somehow, or at least having the ability to connect.

mcmazi
10 Dec 2009, 01:11 AM
i dont know if that will help but here is some idea

you want to have some sort of blog/ news website so

from my experience
1) dont go crazy with the buttons ( cuz when i go sometimes on the websites its confuzin where and what)
2) Use drop down menu
3) Add some simple grafic in flash ( to make website interactive)

Remember : biggest mistake for all websites : its too many stuff on one site so u dont know what to click or what to read. Then more simpler the website then better for the users.

Feel free to ask for more questions
[deleted by mod :: email addresses are not permitted]