PDA

View Full Version : Academics

Sourcerer
20 Dec 2009, 09:07 AM
I'll start by saying hello, as I'm new here. This is my first post and I'd like to say what a great forum this is.

At the moment, I'm going to community college and working on an Associates in General Studies. I've made the decision to become a freelance web developer. There are so many options open to me right now, and I want to make sure I make the best decisions.

As I'm in college at the moment, I want to focus all my efforts on obtaining a strong academic foundation that I can build on. Basically, I want to take classes and get certifications that would stand out in my portfolio. My school offers programming and graphic design classes, which all sound good to me, but I don't want to make a move until I'm advised by someone more experienced. I've also been looking at Microsoft certifications.

Could someone please give me a nudge in the right direction? :xmas:

Lechlak
21 Dec 2009, 11:37 AM
To be completely blunt - get a degree in something else and take a few classes to get you started here. You don't want to be a one trick pony and Web Design is easy enough to learn on your own if you want to.