PDA

View Full Version : New the forum, looking for advice with using div tags for layouts

illinijonesey
04 Jan 2010, 04:37 PM
Hey guys,
So I am completely new to this forum and I did my best to troll to see if there is a similar thread for this, but I couldn't quite solve my problem, so I apologize if I'm the token redundant guy.

I'm attempting to build a website for a friend who does video editing, and in the process I'm trying my best to learn web design, but I am realizing that a *few* things have changed in web design over the past 10-15 years. The last time I built a real website I used frames and probably that HTML tag with blinking text. I'm in bad shape.

In any event I approached this project by modifying a free photoshop layout template to my liking, and then slicing it and importing it into Dreamweaver.

Like most noobs with web design, I am struggling heavily with getting my divs to line up without awkward spacing between them.

So my question is more abstract about what would be the typical reasons for having the weird spacing and misalignment with the divs?

Also when I started out with the layout being table based (which from what I read on this forum, isn't the way to go), I was able to center the entire document, and now that it is div based, it rests in an awkward place about a quarter of the way away from the left margin.

My problem specific, I can post a link to the work in progress if someone would be kind enough to take a look, but I don't want to unintentionally self-promote without being coaxed into doing so.

Thanks so much for any help you guys could give me.