PDA

View Full Version : Freelance or traditional employment?

Dr_Atomic
25 Jan 2010, 01:52 AM
I've been considering which path to take if I wanted to pursue webpage design. Traditional employment has less hassles, where one doesn't have to worry about drumming up business. But employers are demanding, wanting expertise with a seemingly endless list of programs. Freelancing gives more freedom, but can be stressful, and one has to have good business acumen to do it.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm not sure I have the amount of time needed to learn all the things that employers nowadays want applicants to know (the list of "required" programs they need you to know leaves me speechless sometimes). I think I could build a really nice website with the knowledge and expertise of just a few programs if I did freelance, but it takes time to build up a clientele and acquire business.

Lastly, if I were to freelance and set up websites for others, they might very well want me to set up credit card transactions for them on their site. I'm sure this requires a specific program necessary to do this, which I hadn't counted on - just one more to have to learn. :eek: What would this be, and how difficult is it?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Or better yet - experience going these routes? I'm really at a fork in the road at this point, so I'm at a critical phase.