PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing images and ignored table widths

SteveSGU
04 Mar 2010, 10:02 AM
Hi!

I'm no web design expert, but I am familiar with HTML code and have put together several informational websites. I am going to be advertising for my new tour business very soon, and today I just need to solve a couple of issues to make my simple pages display correctly. Later I'll work on adding more enhancements to my pages.

My site can be found at http://Tours.SageGuide.Info (http://tours.sageguide.info/). My pages are simple tables (with some embedded tables), with text and graphics. Nothing fancy.

These are the problems I can't seem to solve on my own:

The first graphic in my table is my logo, but it doesn't display in some browsers, including Internet Explorer 8, even though all of the other graphics show up fine.

I have specified table and column widths in percentages, but even when I have a table that is supposed to fill 96% of the width of the monitor screen, it seems to appear differently in each browser (IE, Firefox, and Opera) and sometimes displays wider than the monitor screen, making it difficult to see an overview of the page.

It seems that many webpages, not only my own, display too skinny in Opera and are almost impossible to read. Is there a solution to that?

Possibly related to this is the strange way graphics in the table on my main page are being displayed. I have a table that is 5 rows by 3 columns, with graphics in every other cell, much like Hollywood Squares. But even though I have set each cell and each image to be the same size, they don't display as a nice, even cube within the left and right limits of the monitor screen. (And now these images on the main page are not displaying at all in IE, even though I thought they did before.)

Similarly, the 3-column table at the bottom of my pages is not displaying the columns evenly, even though I specified 33% of the width for each one.

Finally, does anyone know of a good site online where you can check compatability and perhaps display functioning of a webpage or website using various commonly used browsers and browser versions? I'm just trying to keep my pages simple, both so I will have less work in maintenance and so the users will be able to easily view the information using any browser.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Steve