PDA

View Full Version : IE8 "Compatibility View" & standalone IE6&7 for Vista

robertanesbitt
22 Apr 2010, 12:17 PM
I've been looking for standalone versions of IE7 and 6 for testing purposes, and I've run into problems because multipleIE and the versions on evolt.org don't run on Vista.

Little help??

I know about going the VirtualPC route, but space on my laptop is at a high premium right now so that's not an ideal solution for me.

I know about rendering services/programs like ipinfo.info/netrenderer/ (http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/), but these only help so much.

I know about "Compatibility View" in IE8, but I have some questions. Can it really be relied upon for testing purposes? What "earlier version of IE" does it display as, exactly? 7? That leaves me still looking for 6...

I do have an old laptop but I'm not sure if it runs 6 or 7 (I'll check tonight). If it does run 6, I guess my best option so far is to buy a wireless card for it and just use it for testing (although physical space in my office is also at a premium.)

I read the following about a possible workaround for running 6 on Vista:

"Directly link to the mshtml.dll library responsible for rendering HTML pages either by developing a program that directly uses this library or use a program that already directly communicates with the mshtml.dll library. In either cases, MANIFEST files will be used to enable side-by-side execution."

This is nonsense to me. Could I make sense of it in a few hours of learning, or is this beyond the reach of someone with no computer programming experience?

??