PDA

View Full Version : What technologies should I use for this project?

sjpeer
12 Jun 2010, 07:41 PM
I'm creating a review website and am not sure what technologies to use. I am very familiar with WordPress but don't think it quite fits what I'm trying to accomplish.

Here's basically what I'm looking for.

-Medium to advanced ratings management. Similar to amazon.com ratings but I would want there to be multiple rating factors (around 12) for each item rather than just one.
-Advanced management allowing me to create various user rolls similar to wordpress.
-Ability to have paying users that can access additional content. For example, they may be able to access different rated items than general users. Or they may get access to more of the rated factors than non-paying users.

------

Let me give an example of the site. While this wouldn't be the topic of my site, let's pretend it's about toasters. I would want each toaster to be rated by a number of factors (Overall, power consumption, how even it toasts, how long it takes to toast, etc). The ratings would be a basic star rating and could also contain a description for each factor explaining the rating.

When users view the toaster ratings they would see the average rating across all factors. There also may be a completely separate review and ratings from an "expert" reviewer.

If you're a free user you might just see the overall rating. If you're a paid user you would see the ratings for all the factors.

-------
At this point it seems like Drupal would be a good choice, but can I get the functionality above natively with Drupal and existing plugins? What other technologies should I consider?