PDA

View Full Version : Software or Notepad?

pearjas
16 Jun 2010, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone,
I’m new to this forum, but not necessarily new to web design. I’ve been designing web sites over the years using Frontpage (and even Netscape Composer back in the day). Over the past year, I’ve really dedicated myself to learning more of the core stuff – designing properly and making it W3 compliant, learning more of the tags, CSS (which I’m still learning), etc. I am going to school currently going for an associate’s in computer science with my emphasis being web technologies.

Here is my question – I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and I’m really trying to learn ALL html by hand, but it’s going rather slowly. I know a lot of webmasters (some at least) typically use programs, such as Dreamweaver, and other popular software to design their web sites. So basically I’m trying to really get to where I know 100% of what I’m doing (or as close as possible) and I’m balancing two different things – learning the raw html, and learning to do it in Dreamweaver.

Is it acceptable to know the basics of html, but do it in Dreamweaver? Or do most web designers code by hand? I guess I’m just asking for more of an opinion here. I’d like to (one day) be a professional web designer, and while I’m learning the HTML, I find it much faster to use a program such as Dreamweaver. Is this the norm?