PDA

View Full Version : Iframes & AJAX

rayquaza11
05 Aug 2010, 07:22 PM
I am a freelance website designer fluent in HTML, PHP and CSS. I taught myself all these languages, so there may be some fundamentals I missed when learning. Currently, I am building a website management program for future clients. I have an idea for an aspect of the program, but I'm not sure if it will work, or if it will be efficient.

I know AJAX is now the conventional way to build dynamic websites. However, I do not currently have the time/patience to learn another programming language, so I'm considering faking it with iframes and CSS. I haven't got the logistics worked out, so try to focus your suggestions on solutions to the problems instead of the problems of possible solutions.

Here's an example of a way I want to try it:
A general user signs up for an account on a client's website. They visit the settings page. On the top of the page, there is a box (with the ID "foo") explaining how the settings page works. At the bottom of the box, there is a link that says Close. When the user clicks it, the box resizes to a height of 2px and hides overflow, causing it to disappear completely. The link also directs a hidden iframe to a web page that records the ID of the box in the user's database entry.
In the future, whenever the user visits the Settings page again, the box will no longer appear. PHP recognizes the ID "foo" and matches it with the user's db entry, and thus does not display it at all.

It this an efficient system? Should I try to make it work, or will it be worth my while just to learn AJAX?

Thanks for your help.