PDA

View Full Version : web design software

thezwallrus
06 Aug 2010, 03:34 AM
hey all,

i've been using a trial version of dreamweaver cs5, and i'm wondering if there are any better programs that put together advanced text-editing and built-in FTP. Here's some background:
for some reason, Dreamweaver simply does not want to work with a SOCKS proxy. I often work within an intranet using a proxy that doesn't forward port 21. I asked for permission to bypass this using an SSH tunnel for this sole purpose. the server on the other end doesn't accept SFTP connections, so there is no way for me to use that. I can use the SOCKS proxy to connect to the internet, but I can't use it for dreamweaver. there is a setting for proxy server and port, but when i put 127.0.0.1 port 8080 and try to push the ftp info through the tunnel, for some reason it just won't connect to the site.

so i was looking to see if there was any similar program that might support this. many other basic ftp programs such as filezilla support SOCKS -- why can't DREAMWEAVER?!

thanks. john

Wickham
06 Aug 2010, 03:59 AM
Expression Web http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/web_overview.aspx is an alternative, but it seems a pity to leave Dreamweaver.

Is it only the ftp that's causing a problem? I use the IE inbuilt ftp program which is perfectly adequate. Would this work with your proxy?

IE7 and IE8 have an ftp program built in which is perfectly suitable for uploading or downloading files singly or in batches although it lacks some other features provided by paid-for ftp programs. IE works in a strange way but is quite quick when you get used to it. IE needs ActiveX. You enter your domain name address with ftp instead of http like ftp://mydomain.com/ and ignore a window saying that it cannot display the webpage. You open "Page" in the top right IE menu bar and click "Open ftp site in Internet Explorer" (this only shows when you are trying to enter an ftp address), click OK in the popup, then right-click in the same place after the popup has disappeared which brings up a login popup and from there you get into your host server's directory file system.