PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what tools to use for this project

wbwalsh
19 Aug 2010, 02:43 PM
I am looking for advice on what technologies to bring together for this project.
My background is heavy in database (SQL/Access) and C# Windows application development. I have built basic web sites using Dreamweaver and most recently Visual Studio 2010 with ASP.Net data access pages. I have worked with Wordpress, DotNetNuke and various other content type solutions.

I need to build a web application for my employer (local police department) that allows visitors to report certain minor crimes, view crime statistics, view calendar of events, download PDF documents and basically provide information that would lesson telephone calls to the department. It would also be nice if several people could contribute by providing content.

Given this type of project what applications/technology would you use to create this site? I have time to put this together so I would like to use the best possible tools that allow me to create the site and continue to improve and advance that sites capabilities.

Any advice would be appreciated.

- Brian

is_numeric
20 Aug 2010, 05:14 AM
I would look at using Drupal CMS

Its powerful enough to easily provide your functionality

You need something a bit more serious than wordpress and a bit more enterprise and scalable.

It lives on a PHP/MYSQL environment.
Its open source to no licensing to worry about
Its very scalable
It has a massive following

I can introduce you to the technology by providing a primer if you like