PDA

View Full Version : Totally New...need a bit of advice

Jaktu
19 Aug 2010, 11:57 PM
Hello, I need to make a website that will have the following features:

1. Account registration
2. Buttons that when pressed alter the information on the website and update it for everyone who visits the website (i.e. a little like the up/down votes on fml or web polls)
3. I want to somehow limit users (registered and unregistered) to pressing certain buttons only once in a 24 hour period (i.e. kindda like how some sweepstakes websites allow you to enter your information only once per day and can detect if you're trying to do it more than once). This is important, so I don't want users to be able to bypass the limit by simply clearing their cookies or something.
4. Some other things with the data I get from users (i.e. poll results with charts, display daily/weekly results, etc...)

I have no background at all in web development or design or anything like that. I programmed a lot in MATLAB and programmed a little in C and C++. How hard will it be to make a website with the above features? Do you think I should just hire someone to do it or learn on my own and do it? If so, where should I start learning?

Thanks!