PDA

View Full Version : Basic Web Dev. Questions for a Complex Build

sh50fifty
10 Sep 2010, 04:43 PM
Hi, new user here with tons of website ideas but little web development knowledge.

I have one idea in particular that I know is way out of my league, so I am open to spend a chunk of change to have it built. Anyway, here is the basic idea:

-Users can register for two different types of accounts (Question 1: What type of script/language/program is this?)
-Users can upload images, vidoes, and music
-Users have access to information such as page views, rating, etc.
-Users are ranked on the front page in a list fashion with X number of inputs equaling their total rank. Example: Friends + Votes + Rating = Rank # that is automatically updated on the front page (Question 2: what type of script/language/program does this require?) I am assuming some type of algorathim is used in the script?
-Question 3: Is there a program or script that generates a list of RANDOM users to be selected for prizes or does this not exist/is it illegal?

This is all I could come up with for now. Basically, would a website such as this be too 'out-of-my-league for a noobie? How much would something like this cost and what is the best route to take in 'shopping' this out? What are the top web dev. firms that specialize in this type of social network/ranking website?

Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks in advance