PDA

View Full Version : website looks different on different pcs

seekertom
12 Sep 2010, 11:34 PM
I have a website which i created using a website-creator prog, don't know if ok to mention names? My site has been published for a while, but one day I noticed on different pcs, the text looks jumbled. I redid with 'web-friendly' fonts, no help.

Here's what I've learned so far: firefox lets you change text size with ctrl+ and ctrl-. When I do this on certain pcs, the text and graphics elements on most of my pages change size disproportionately, resulting in the text bleeding all over the graphics and becoming unreadable.

When I change text size on any other website I pick at random, everything changes at the same rate and looks great at any size. For my site, I can get the offending pcs to display properly by setting the text size in the browser, but then the page is way bigger than i designed for, and besides, I can't guarantee someone else will be able to set the size manually.

My goal was to provide pages that displayed entirely on one screen with minimal scrolling, sorta like pages in a book. When creating a web page from a blank page, i know there are 3 different sizes to select from, cga, vga and xga. Each gives more page size to work with than the others. I set up my sites for 1024x768 resolution because I needed the room to work with, but don't know what to do about providing for another person's monitor resolution? One person may have theirs set to 1024x768, and someone else to 1920x1280, or 800x600 or whatever. So, how do you design a page that you know will display nice on 'most' peoples' pcs?

Lastly, how can I 'fix' my websites so they display consistently?
I have tried both html with css and dynamic html, but see no difference.
You can see the work at www.poorclaresdelray.org
Hope someone here can make heads or tails out of all this and figure out what I'm asking, and better yet, how i can fix it.
thanks! tom