PDA

View Full Version : start a program from web page button

Dodgeitorelse
28 Sep 2010, 09:05 AM
Hi all, my first post here. I built a website and have a connection button for team speak that when the user clicks button it searches for the team speak program on the users pc then launches it. I assume this is done by the protocol ts://blah blah. Is it possible to do this with any program? for example americas army game, which is what I am after. I am not looking for anyone to jump out and give me a code as I prefer to just be pointed in the right direction and learn? If I am unclear as to what I mean contact me and I can show you my site with the teamspeak function working.
Thanks in advance.

ClarkeyBoy
02 Oct 2010, 11:31 PM
Are you thinking of setting up a webpage for your own use, to get to programs within your PC? Or is it for a program you are distributing to other people? If the latter then you will have to set up the protocol by figuring out what version of what OS the user has and proceed as required by that operating system.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767914(VS.85).aspx has a few hints to get you started. It has to do with registry keys and dodgy stuff like that... I'd backup your registry before you do anything though...

I just Googled "how to set up a custom protocol", and that was 3rd on the list.

Regards,

Richard