PDA

View Full Version : Question about Career change to Web Development

cadmancan
06 Oct 2010, 09:32 AM
I am 40 and looking to change career paths to Web Development. I was in graphic Design some time ago and have used Photoshop since the first version. Yikes! Anyways I got into a field that is far from artistic and I am going nuts. I have many questions but am very reluctant to jump ship since I know it will take awhile before I am making in Web development what I'm making now. I am well versed with computers and some of the programs like Photoshop and a bit of Flash.

-What kind of formal education is suggested? (Bachelors, Associates, various classes on specific programs)

-Since there are so many languages is a good idea to specialize in on one field like Flash or .NET or should I try to get to know a bit of all of them?

-What would I be looking at as far as a salary out of school? 3-4 years?

-Is this a field that is hiring or on the rise?

-Is most of the work (at least in the Northwest) contract work or direct hire?

-Or are there any other aspects I havent considered that I need to.

Anyways I was hoping some folks could throw their two cents in and help me. I am reading quite a bit on these topics and gleaning what I can from the several topics I asked about. The field I am in now is on the serious decline and I will be lucky to be employed in 3-6 months. There is no sign that things are going to get better in the commercial construction field so I am trying to see if this is a viable option or not