PDA

View Full Version : Motivation/help for project and possible career in web designing!

Nessa
07 Oct 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm new to this site, and the reason I joined is because I feel like I need... some kind of push in the right direction or something. I am a sixteen-year-old girl from Sweden who has practised designing (using mostly HTML and CSS) for about four or five years now. I have done a couple of blog designs for friends and some other design related stuff, had a website or two but they have all died after a couple of weeks because of my lack of patience and inspiration. I absolutely love to design websites, and I think that I am fairly good at what I'm doing. The problem is that I have no idea where to go from here. I could absolutely consider a career in web development, but I have no idea about how the job market looks and if you can actually design websites for a living. I'm in high school (or the Swedish version of high school that is), and I'm almost only studying subjects that doesn't have to do with any technical stuff at all. Will I even be able to apply to design schools? Is it necessary to have a "real" web development education? God, this is starting to become a painfully long text... and I'm not done yet, lol.

Every time I start some kind of design project (blog, website etc) it always dies because of my lack of motivation. I get zero visitors and I'm not enthusiastic at all about the content of the site - I just design it, and when I'm done I'm bored. What kind of website/project would be good for me? I'm not so much of a blogger, I just like designing the site, not updating it or filling it with content. And I don't have an unlimited amount of friends to help with blog designs and such... so I'm kind of stuck. Does anyone have a suggestion of some kind of project that I could try to start?

Aaah... gosh that's long. I hope there's someone who could maybe help me a little - I know that I have extremely many questions and that they're probably kind of hard to answer, but... something to give me inspiration to start a new project! Anything!

(and if my English is bad somewhere, sorry, I'm from Sweden...)