PDA

View Full Version : Can any developers help me understand IE9 Beta?

straygoat
09 Oct 2010, 01:17 PM
Hello all,

I'm hoping you can help me. I am not a developer, but I've got to write a report on IE9 beta aimed at developers....and i'm struggling to get understand it all. The deadline is fast approaching, so i'm hoping some of you can provide the answers i need (in language i can understand!).

I've read a lot of articles about IE9 beta on the web, and the general feeling seems to be that it is a step in the right direction from MS, but there are some significant problems:

1. Getting people to use IE9 instead of IE 6, 7, 8 is going to be tricky as IE9 requires Windows 7....lots of people still on XP. So that means you developers have still got to provide solutions for earlier IEs. I guess that means that IE9 has no real impact on how you work - you've still got to include all the work arounds etc. to support earlier IEs. Right?

2. MS's update policy means that even though IE9 is competitive with today's leading browsers, it won't be updated as quickly or as often as FireFox, Chrome Opera etc. and so won't keep pace with the rest of the browser industry. Would you agree with that?

3. The much heralded HTML 5 support is only for limited HTML 5 commands? I don't know anything about HTML5 to be honest...I gather that it is not supported by the other browsers YET - but they will do soon, and they are likely to support it better than IE9? Also, I've read that HTML5 may make life more difficult for developers as it requires extra work to create things that can currently be done easily using plug ins...so there is a feeling that the world is not really ready for HTML5 yet?

4. Could you tell me what some of the more common 'work arounds' were for IE6, 7, and 8? The things that you had to do specifically to get a page to display properly in IE that you didn't have to do in the other browsers? I know that this extra work won't be needed for IE9 as it is supporting web standards much better.

5. Am I right in thinking that the main plus points of IE9 are that it is faster and allows you (as developers) to produce pages that display consistently as on other browsers? (Though you still need to deal with work arounds for older IEs)? Are there any other major plus points for developers?

6. Is there anything in IE9 that is better for developers than in rival browsers? Does it have any developer tools that are unique?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help. I'm really pushed for time on this and don't really know what i am writing about! I can add quotes and links to developers in the piece if required.

Thanks.