PDA

View Full Version : New at Web Design, Need Help

BR1
12 Oct 2010, 08:51 PM
I am new to this whole web designing process. I started using Dreamweaver, but I am having difficulties making my website pop. I am looking to use a program that is easy to use but will allow me to add different widgets, such as Twitter. I am a teacher and asked some students for their help and was pointed towards Wordpress, BlueVoda or Trellian. I was looking for some help with which would be the easiest for me to use to make a great website. Just for reference (don't laugh) my website is www.knuckledownlacrosse.org. It will also attest to my novice status. Thank you for your help.

_mm
13 Oct 2010, 12:23 AM
If you are wanting to add a twitter widget the integrates nicely into a website you are actually going to need to learn how to make websites without the use of programs. Website building programs only get half a foot in the door. They are very limited and the markup is just horrible and they never validate.

Things you need to learn
- xhtml
- js (javascript). Do not confuse this with java they are 2 completely different things.
- javascript library jQuery

once you learn these things you can do all that you are wanting to do. But if you do not want to learn these things I would recommend hiring a web designer.

If you do not want to learn how to do it the right way here is the twitter widget. Just copy and paste it into your site.
http://twitter.com/goodies