PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice On How The Enclosed Site Might Have Been Created

Techno
17 Oct 2010, 05:19 PM
Hello, I am new here. This is my first post, I'll try to describe my question as best as I can.

I want to create a technology information site for myself. I have been trying to teach myself about web design for the past several months, I have been watching videos from Lynda.com on Dreamweaver CS5, Wordpress and Joomla! 1.5 as well as on HTML, CSS, PHP, ect.... I feel more familiar with some of the terms and concepts but I guess I won't have a decent grasp until I actually start to create my website.

I have seen many technology blog style sites out there, Gizmodo and such, I don't want my site to look like a blog even though that is probably how my posts will be created. As part of my research I try to find out what is behind the creation and maintaining of websites. Do most sites use Joomla or Wordpress? Are posts entered into some sort of proprietary database and then formatted automatically by the site using lots of custom code? I haven't been able to find much on that subject, it would be nice if there was a website out there that kept a record of the software and tools used for creation and post entry for sites like Gizmodo, CNN, ect... I am interested to know about how other sites are created and maintained by the pros.

In researching various existing websites I came across a site very similar to what I had envisioned for my website.

http://www.trendhunter.com/

The home page layout is very close to the vision I have for my site. I have no intention of duplicating their site but the layout and functioning of their homepage is something I want.

I need advice from you experts out there on what would be the best way to go to create my site and how to make my homepage look and work similar to Trendhunter.com. I need to get something up and running and easy to use. I have played around with Joomla for a few hours and understand just a little bit of how to use it. I haven't really used Dreamweaver before so I have no experience with that yet. I have not used Wordpress before so I have no experience there either. I guess I have a lot of ambition with little knowledge of how to execute my ideas. As I said I need some direction of the best way to go and the best software to do it the easiest.

Thanks