PDA

View Full Version : Manually Loading Scripts The Hard Way

jrp1984
23 Nov 2010, 05:27 PM
Okay so I am a trial and error learner, and I have no training in web design. So if I could just get some help so that I can move on with my development projects that would be great. REMEMBER: no traininng at all in web design so when answering my post tell me the instructions as if I were an idiot cave man who has never even touched a computer.

What I am trying to learn is how to load scripts up to my sites. I have successfully loaded a few but most are not working. Here are the details:

1. find a script I like and download it to my computer
2. unzip the files
3. either using the file manager on my web hosting panel or ftpsmart software to upload the files...
A. this is not quick or easy by my experience because the file manager can only handle so much and keeps timing out on me, and the ftp software takes anywhere from 2-6 hours to load one script (is there a way to make that faster)

4. with many scripts there are processes that need to be followed after the upload, i.e., setting permissions, editing configuration or index files, but many scripts do not have instructions for these changes and the ones that do are often not clear enough for me to understand correctly. so how do I know what changes to make after the upload?
5. then usually type in an access address to get started with installation or setup changes like http://www.website.com/script/install but sometimes it doesnt tell you where you are suppose to navigate to

I probably am missing a few things that I am unclear about but for now that sounds like all the information you need...i just want to be able to freely load my scripts. I am a script freak, I love them, so I have many that I want to put on these websites...

Thanks for your help, in advance.

is_numeric
24 Nov 2010, 06:57 AM
What kind of scripts are you trying to load?