PDA

View Full Version : CMS for video, maybe?

chisao101
29 Dec 2010, 11:04 AM
First, I just want to say that I have a pretty firm grasp on xhtml, and I'm OK with css (still a bit to learn), but I am a complete beginner for javascript, PHP and MySQL. I have done some "hello world" stuff, and played around with some very simple stuff like alert boxes and document.write.
With PHP, I have done some simple programming as well by using tutorials. I've done basic login/logout/register stuff and a few other simple things. I need to get some things done on a website I'm building, and I want to do it myself.
So here's my question...

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to accomplish this:

I am building a site for guitar lessons. I want to upload videos (just me, not the visitors) and have them saved by categories or groups in a database. I would like the user to be able to click a link to a category and have the list of videos appear. The list should show a thumbnail image next to a title and short description of the video.

I also have a separate task I'm looking into:
I want a carousel on my home page that will display featured videos from the database. I kind of like the way yahoo has it done on their home page. It shows a small horizontal scrolling box along the bottom, and whichever video you have highlighted in the scroller shows up in the main window.

I'm happy to do tutorials, if anyone knows of any good ones for this type of stuff. I'm also willing to use pre-made templates and look at the code and try to figure out what's going on. Basically, I'll do what it takes, but the search has become complicated for me because I don't understand much of what I am reading when I find stuff.

Please help!:confused: