PDA

View Full Version : Server side PDF Page Extraction/Insertion

Imburr
24 Jan 2011, 11:06 AM
I am not asking for a solution, but only a pointer in the right direction. I have a need, and no clue where to start. should I script? PHP? ASP.NET?

I have a policies and procedures manual for my company. It is 100 policies over 108 pages. There is a copy of this manual for each of 5 separate programs. Eaxh manual has about 10 different items, and all of the headers are different with the program names.

I need a website that lists out all of the policies, and allows the user to click on a specific policy to view that policy alone in pdf. this way when a certain policy needs to change, we can just pull out the one pdf and change it.

So I split up these 5 documents, making 550 single PDF's. I uploaded them to my windows Server 2008 R2, and designed a simple html4/css2 page. The pages have lists of links, and when you click them they open up the correct pdf.

Everything is great, except for one thing- changes to all documents is now a nightmare. They asked me to change one item in the header of all policies. this means I need to open up 550 pdf files and remove a word.

I would like 5 PDF files, containing all policies. then i would like to have a webpage that lists each policy. When a user clicks the link, the server or whatever extracts that policy from the entire pdf document. At that point, I could make changes to just that policy. Also, if I needed to change the entire document, I could open up the base PDF and make my changes there.

Furthermore, I would like to do this all on one page. All the policies for each program are titled the same, so maybe a page with 100 links on it. When someone clicks policy 5.6.6, it will prompt user if they want to view company a, company b, or company c policy of that number, anhd open up the correct pdf.

I have a SBS 2008 SP2 running IIS 7.0, and a Server 2008 R2 running ISS 7.5. I use a little PHP and asp.net in my pages. I use Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010, though I have access to nearly any design program you point me at.

Alan
24 Jan 2011, 12:36 PM
If you're looking for a PHP solution, try the Zend_Pdf component in the Zend Framework library.
http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.pdf.html

I'm not sure how tightly coupled it is with the framework, but you might be in luck. Some components are easy to remove and others aren't. Take a look either way. Worst case, you can use some of the code.